Student insurance in The Netherlands

Are you planning to study, work or do an internship in the Netherlands?

Then it is recommended to find out how and what medical costs are covered and whether you need to enrol for a Dutch health insurance. This article provides information about student insurance options in The Netherlands and points out when it is required to obtain a Dutch medical insurance.

Do I need Dutch health insurance?

There are multitple cases in which a Dutch healthcare insurance for international students is mandatory. The three most common cases:


If you are doing an internship, traineeship or PhD for which you are being paid at least as much as the Dutch minimum wage, you are obligated to obtain a Dutch health insurance under the Wlz-scheme. Any expenses are regarded as remuneration for your internship, for example, if the company or university pays for your housing. If you are paid less than minimum wage, and your stay in The Netherlands is temporary, you will normally not be eligible for Dutch health insurance. You could opt for a private health insurance. Please check on which purposes are considered temporary and non-temporary.

Permanent stay

If you are 30 years or older and your stay in The Netherlands is permanent you will be required to choose a Dutch health insurance. Permanent stay is usually not the case for most international students, but for those who have finished their studies and planning to stay in The Netherlands permanently. If you are unsure if your stay is considered permanent, you can ask for an assessment to determine if you should be insured. Unsure about your insurance status in The Netherlands?

When do I need international student insurance?

When you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland and if you are planning to study for more than three months in The Netherlands, it is recommended to get a private or international health insurance. There are several health insurers that offer international healthcare insurances for foreigners that are going to do their bachelor's or master's in The Netherlands.

When can I use my European Health Insurance Card?

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for medical care if you are from within the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland or Australia and when you are in The Netherlands only temporarily for study purposes. EU-, EEA-countries and Switzerland have agreements and treaties with The Netherlands about medical coverage. That is why students from within the EU/EEA can usually keep their home country insurance. However, it is important to make sure that your home country insurance covers the necessary medical care in the Netherlands and that they can issue a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to you.


Some national health insurers in EU-countries will only cover the costs of your healthcare in another country for a limited time; this is often the case for mature students (older than 28 or 30) and workers on training abroad. If this is the case for you, you will need seek another insurance if you want medical cover. Moreover, most national health insurers only cover up to health tariffs applicable in your home country. Hence, it is highly recommended to check whether your home country insurance provides full health cover in the Netherlands during your entire stay. Otherwise, it may be required to arrange extra international cover. How do I take out a Dutch health insurance? In order to obtain a Dutch healthcare insurance you need to complete several steps: EU/EEA students